Rob Macklin has over 20 years of experience advising public and private company clients of all sizes, both domestic and international. He brings a well-rounded, practical skill set from his time working as a a General Counsel, leading legal teams for a number of different companies. In that role, he considered himself the senior commercial executive in charge of legal matters. In other words, he’s a lawyer who understands what it means to hit a budget, make the bottom-line work and ensure a profitable year for the business.
- Successfully defended publicly traded Motient Corporation from a proxy challenge by dissident director and institutional shareholder.
- Successfully led IPO process for Telx Inc. and Motient Corporation.
- Raised over $600 million of equity capital for Motient Corporation.
- Led over $6B of M&A including:
- Acquisition of Welch Allyn by Hill-Rom Holdings, Inc., a US-based medical technology provider.
- Acquisition of Trumpf Medical, a European-based global surgical equipment business.
- Acquisition of Aspen Surgical Products, a US-based global surgical consumables business.
- Acquisition of Volker group, a Germany-based global hospital bed manufacturer.
- Acquisition of Liko France, a medical device distributor in France and Switzerland
- At Motient, led reorganization of company in a $2 billion series of transactions
University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
BA in Business Economics, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA
Golf, woodworking, hiking, baseball and learning history.
Questions & Answers
Although I trained at a law firm (Skadden, Arps) I’ve spent most of my career as an in-house lawyer. As a lawyer working exclusively for one company, I’ve learned that meeting business objectives is always the main goal, and I bring that mindset to my legal practice. I understand that the technically correct legal answer might not be the right one. Our clients need realistic, practical advice on how to avoid risks and manage their business, so they can focus on the bottom line. My in-house experience helps that happen.
I love to golf, spend time with my wife Heather and our two children, and learn new things by watching documentaries and reading. When I have some moments alone, I enjoy woodworking and hiking in the woods behind our house.
When my family moved to the area three years ago so that I could take a position as General Counsel of a locally headquartered international company, we fell in love with the Fox Valley and the wonderful people here. My wife, Heather, joined Epiphany in 2018 and the chance to work with her and the entire Epiphany team on a daily basis was just a great opportunity that I couldn’t pass up.